Palak for snacks?Already it is very difficult to make kids eat Palak , the cute boy in our house is an exception though.Thought of trying an interesting recipe with palak that too for snacks.Then got the idea of making a kebab out of it and thus came the harabara kebab.
|Potato (Medium Sized)||:||4|
|Oil||:||adjust for deep fry/shallow fry|
|Cumin seeds||:||2 tsp|
|Spinach / Palak||:||1 bunch|
|Corn Flakes/Bread Crumbs||:||To Taste|
|Dhania Powder||:||1 tsp|
|Chilly Powder||:||1 tsp|
- Cook palak/spinach leaves in boiling water. Once cooked drain out water and keep aside to let it cool down.
- Cook green peas separately and keep aside.
- Boil potatoes and mash it well.
- Grind the cooked palak/spinach and green peas together into fine mixture without adding water. Both spinach and green peas have water content and the mixture will get watery when ground.
- In a bowl add the mashed potato, palak mixture, salt, cumin seeds, chilly powder, dhania powder, salt , turmeric powder and mix evenly.
- You can add bread crumbs or corn flakes (plain) to this. Adding Corn flakes powder gives good taste and also consumes less oil when compared to bread crumbs. Adding bread crumbs may turn the taste of the kebab like cutlet. If you don't like the taste of corn flakes you are free to use bread crumbs.
Grind the corn flakes in a mixture coarsely and add to the prepared mixture.Now the mixture should be in the consistency that if you make a ball ,it should be firm enough to be pressed flat and doesn't break. To adjust its consistency you can add little plain flour. Be careful in this as adding too much of flour may kill the taste. You can also add little more cornflakes to tighten it.
- Once your kebab mixture is ready make lemon sized balls and carefully press with your palms to 1/2 inch thickness. Get creative to bring out heart, diamond, square or shapes of your choice in the kebabs.
- Choose to deep fry or shallow fry the kebab. Shallow frying is the method of preparing a kebab.
- Yummy Harabara Kebab is ready to serve hot with tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice.