Sunday 9 June 2013

Apricot Pickle

I have not tasted apricot fruit earlier and don't know how to select it while buying.First time got tempted towards it by its color and bought some 6 to 7 apricots just by examining the outer skin of it ..I could not wait to taste them, they were looking very beautiful while cutting ..First piece in my mouth...ooops..My reaction was same like baby's first lemon reaction :) .It was so sour..

I should search on how to select/choose apricots.I did not want to waste the same and I could have tried some other sweet stuff but I was afraid that it may consume more sugar to send off the sourness.

Fortunately , I had planned for curd rice that night and myself and my husband do not like Pickles (apart from home made mango pickle with chilli powder without oil).Then flashed an idea on trying out preparing pickle out of it.Just gave a try and it came out so well.Here is the recipe of Apricot Pickle from my kitchen.



Ingredients:
Chopped deseeded Apricot.I used small cubes cut from 6 Apricots. : 1 cup
Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds (to temper) : 1 tsp
Salt : To Taste
Oil.I used Corn Oil : 1 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli(Slit Lengthwise) :1

Method:

Add salt to finely chopped apricot pieces and marinate it 15-30 minutes.Heat oil,Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.Then add green chilly chopped lengthwise/into bigger pieces.Add the apricot pieces and let it cook for 5 minutes.Ensure it is not burnt.Add chilly powder and keep stirring for 2 minutes,add salt to taste and turn off the stove.Allow the mix to cool well.Transfer to a air tight jar/bottle and store in refrigerator.

Variations:

* I prefer to add less oil in food.This can be altered as per wish similar to chilly powder and salt.
* Sesame[Gingelly] oil/Olive Oil can replace corn oil.
* Better to use slightly harder Apricot [ not too ripe ] to have a better flavor.
* If you do not prefer to add chilli powder,you can exclude it and adjust the quantity of green chilli as per taste.Also,grating green chilli/chopping it into fine pieces will go well with this.
* Preserve it in an air tight box, preferably a glass jar .It stayed well for 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment